London, United Kingdom.- Mercedes were hoping to have some news about Lewis Hamilton’s contract extension by the time the Canadian Grand Prix came around.
Despite ongoing talks, the seven-time Formula 1 champion said in Montreal on Tuesday, there has been no word on his future. He was due to meet Mercedes boss Toto Wolff who hinted a decision was imminent.
Hamilton, 38, is seeking a multi-year extension. He played an innocent part about how the talks would progress. When asked if he had a meeting scheduled with Wolfe, the British pilot tried to avoid the issue.
“We have never met.” Hamilton being expressionless.
Then the supervisor explained to ask if the chief and the pilot had met for pizza.
The Brit replied: “We’ve never had pizza.”
At the third attempt, Hamilton acknowledged that there had been contract talks with no agreement reached.
“I saw Toto, we talked a few times,” said Hamilton. “Yeah, there’s nothing else to add to that.”
The information was much less than what Wolff offered last week during an interview on CNBC when asked about Hamilton’s future.
“It will happen soon. We talk days more than weeks,” Wolf said at Squawk on the Street. “We have such a good relationship that we dread the moment we have to talk about money. From a team perspective, Lewis and Mercedes have been together for a very long time.”
Hamilton is in the final year of his current contract and has insisted he wants to extend his career by staying at Mercedes, despite persistent rumors that he has been courted by Ferrari.
The Canadian Grand Prix was framed as the point of celebration for the contract extension announcement because in addition to being the site where he won his first F1 race in 2007, it also took seven victories at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, tying Michael Schumacher for the most in the series’ history.