Olympiad. Lee Keefer will take a gold medal to Kentucky. | Photo: Efe.
The main source of the news: Washington Post.
Medical student Lee Kiefer became the first American to win a gold medal in individual fencing at the Tokyo Olympics on Sunday. She defeated Russia’s Inna Deriglazova 15-13.
Because it is important? He led Fencing Kiefer to former Olympians and became the first fencer from the United States to be ranked number one in the world rankings in 2017. Sunday’s medal is the first gold received by an American in the field at an Olympic Games.
- Kiefer’s interest in the sport began when he was six years old and saw his father, a neurosurgeon, who was a fencing leader.
- Kiefer, 27, is the daughter of two doctors and studies the same profession at the University of Kentucky. She is married to Gerek Meinhardt, a 30-year-old British medical student
- In Tokyo, he is competing in his fourth Olympics, winning bronze for the team in 2016 in Rio de Janeiro.
what are they saying: “My brothers and I thought sports were weird and fun looking, so my dad started teaching us the basics in our empty dining room and took us to a club twice a week, which was 1.5 hours away from where we lived.” .
- Upon winning the gold medal, the fencer expressed his doubts: “What just happened? Where is my husband?”.
- “I was here on the scene all day with her (…) doing everything I could to help her and keep her focused,” Meinhardt told USA Today.