Director-General of the World Health Organization, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, Ratified this Tuesday on He requested a new investigation into the origin of the coronavirus and questioned the lack of access to information from the team of experts investigating in China.
In the specialists’ report, the agency notes that it considers the hypothesis that the virus escaped from a laboratory in the central Chinese city of Wuhan “unlikely.”
That was the text, too It questioned 13 countries, including the United States, Canada, Japan and the United Kingdom, which also demanded that China provide “full access” to experts.
Although the researchers concluded in their final report that the hypothesis that the coronavirus escaped from a laboratory in Wuhan, central China, is unlikely, Tedros said that this possibility “requires further investigation” and confirmed that he is “prepared to deploy” a new mission.
Accompanied by experts from the World Health Organization (WHO) and Chinese scientists during the official presentation of the report – whose central departments were already known on Monday – the head of the United Nations health agency said that the investigation allowed for “significant” progress in knowledge of the issue, but at the same time was born. New suspicions “need further studies”.
The report, published by various media outlets before its official presentation, considers that it is “extremely unlikely” that the coronavirus was caused by an accident or pathogen escaping from the laboratory.
According to the document, Experts tend to the accepted theory so far that the virus was transmitted from a first animal, perhaps a bat, to a human, through another animal that was acting as an intermediary and has not yet been identified.
The report has been waited with impatience because its findings can help scientists avoid future epidemics, but it is also very sensitive because China has firmly rejected any suggestion that it is responsible for the epidemic.
The numerous delays in publishing the report raised doubts about whether China was not trying to misrepresent its conclusions.
In this sense, The WHO chief complained about the “difficulties” the experts encountered in “accessing original data” while in China.
In a similar line of concern, but with the addition of placing some responsibility on Beijing for the investigators’ mission, the United States and 13 allies spoke, demanding “full access” to the information for the experts.
The United States, the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, Japan, South Korea, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Israel, Latvia, Lithuania, Norway and Slovenia said in a statement: “We are meeting together to express our common concerns” about the latest study. .
Text deplores the WHO-supported mission in China “It was too late and had no access to the original and complete data and samples.”
“It is imperative that independent experts have full access to all people, animals, environmental data, investigations and personnel involved in the early stages of the outbreak that are relevant to determining how this epidemic emerged,” the statement adds, which does not explicitly refer to criticism of China.
According to the signatories, these are common concerns Continue to benefit from knowing everything about the origins of the epidemic, According to Agence France-Presse.