Inter Miami It has taken a radical turn recently after signing Lionel Messi and other world-famous figures such as Spaniards Sergio Busquets and Jordi Alba. Since landing in Fort Lauderdale, the pink and black have gone from being the worst in the Eastern Conference to winning the League Cup, reaching the US Open Cup final (Wednesday, September 27, against the Houston Dynamo) and dreaming of qualifying for the MLS playoffs.
Another important piece in Garza’s team’s comeback was the new coach, an Argentine Gerardo Martino. During an interview granted to The athlete, the Rosario strategist told details of the conversations he had with the seven-time Ballon d’Or winner before his arrival in the United States, and noted how similar the number “10” is to basketball stars such as LeBron James, Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant. He talked about his relationship with David Beckham, one of the main owners of the organization, and what it is like to work with his son within the technical staff.
In press communication with the aforementioned media, the former Newell’s and Barcelona player was asked about how basketball figures such as Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, and LeBron James – or Zinedine Zidane in football – develop over time, and they asked him if those cases were the same. Similar to that of the 2022 World Champion Qatar. I think it is because all these athletes have a similar mentality. This is a mentality that has not changed since the age of 17 until this stage of his sporting career. In this sense, this is what all these athletes have in common. The way they compete. The way they always try to be the best. In some cases these are individual sports and also team sports. But they are always trying to be the best, to improve their team and improve their teammates. He later added: “Then there is his intellectual ability to interpret every stage of his life and give his best in those moments. They realize how they can maximize these aspects because a person is not the same player at 20, 25, 30 or 35 years old. No one reaches these remarkable heights without having high-level intellectual abilities. They discover for themselves where they are, how they can contribute, and what they need to do to be the best. They do this with ease throughout their careers.
At the same time, the coach explained the Argentine’s thirst for victories with an anecdote that developed after the first match at Inter Miami: “Leo was clearly frustrated after our goalless draw with Nashville. I had to tell him to calm down, we will not win every game. We cannot allow draws, But we have to keep finding ways to grow. I was so bitter. It was like we lost the game. We’re still trying to find ourselves as a team, but He is always in search of winning and it is very difficult to change that mentality. I would never want to change that mindset either. This is what makes it better“.
“I like that Leo is having fun. But what’s most important is that he hasn’t lost that desire to compete. This is the most important aspect. There are many ways in which one can enjoy playing the game. But without a doubt, when there is a desire to compete, when there is a desire to continue proving that he is the best in the world, to help the team and achieve results, everything becomes more valuable. Their happiness is contagious and we end up proving it. “His desire to work, improve and establish a closer relationship with his teammates… that says everything about his state of mind,” he said. stammer About the easy adaptation that the Argentine national team captain experienced in the United States.
The coach also praised the unity within the team after the arrival of several reinforcements, which has allowed them to go on an 11-match unbeaten run. “The very important thing to highlight is how the team responded to the arrival of these three players. Because the outcome could have been completely different. He could have become a huge burden on the other players and affected their production. Or maybe they felt supported and secure enough to show their best versions.” Of themselves, which I believe happened. And it makes us all better. The group recognizes that more experienced players with longer professional careers have more responsibilities. They understood their role and how to move forward. Everyone has adapted very well. From my position, I have three exceptional players. We’ve added pieces around it sensibly and based on gameplay. We realized that our game was still a work in progress. There are many things we can improve. We needed results. “This is what this moment is asking of us,” he commented.
“When we were in Rosario, we talked at length about the league and the types of situations we faced in Atlanta, the characteristics of the league, and the teams we would face. The cities we will visit, the amount of travel, the cold, the heat, the snow, the storms, the games postponed until the weather improves. Flights that may or may not take off are the physical fitness of the opponents. “This is what we discussed at the time and now it has become more specific about who we will play and how we will approach the match,” Martino admitted.
What do you say to a player like Lionel Messi:
– “The types of conversations we have focus on the opponent and their characteristics. How we will face a game. The aspects of the game that we would like to be more refined on, and the way we will try to pass the ball to him. But we have never talked about his individual role. What I think we need is for him to have the freedom to move.” “To spaces where he can find the right conditions to play. What we have to do as a team is adapt to their movements, not limit their movements. I think that has been part of the secret of Argentina’s success. Put the right pieces in place as you move around the pitch. “And that’s what “A lot of our conversations focus on it.”
Lionel Messi’s physical condition:
– “There was no plan for Leo. The last time we spoke to Scaloni was after we won the US Open Cup. This is the beginning of Argentina’s World Cup qualifying campaign and we had a number of important matches to play and I did not think it was wise to have any kind of matches.” A conversation with Scaloni. The best thing is to let Argentina start qualifying calmly. Leo and Scaloni certainly talked about the situations they found themselves in and what the most favorable result would be. We will do the same once Messi gets here, but obviously with all the information about what happened during the week.
– “No matter what happens, there is nothing more important than the health of the players. In this case it is Leo. It could also be another player. No matter how important the match is, we have to make sure that all the players are fit, and not risk them or aggravate the injury. We will evaluate them once they arrive and determine the best course of action for our upcoming matches.
What does it mean to work with your son Gerardo and what is his role within the technical staff:
– “Due to the nature of our work, we now spend more time together talking about football, our training sessions and our competitors. It was good. “I am very happy to be able to work with him and share this experience together.”
“He is our third assistant behind me and Jorge (Thiller).” Provides information about our opponents and collects reports about our team. We make use of your language skills during the training courses, whether you conduct them yourself or as a translator. “Every member of staff has a similar role to play.”
His relationship with David Beckham:
– “In our first month at the club, David was there for us all the time. He was present in every training session. He was at all the matches. He was very close to the team. He is very friendly and respectful. There is a really nice dynamic between him and the players and staff. No “I can comment on his involvement in player signings because he usually had those conversations with Chris and Nicky. They kept David updated on those conversations. But because of who he is and what he stands for, he commands a lot of respect, and he’s friendly and polite with the whole group.”