Nicolás Maduro’s regime and the Venezuelan opposition return to the negotiating table on FridayWith an agenda focused on international sanctions, the release of political prisoners, and electoral conditions.
The meeting, brokered by Norway, will be held in MexicoAfter a failed attempt in Barbados in 2019. A year ago, there was another attempt in the Dominican Republic led by former Spanish President Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero.
The Mexican Ministry of Foreign Affairs indicated, in a statement, that “The start of the negotiation and dialogue process in Venezuela“.
He explained that at the request of the concerned parties, Strict health and safety protocols will be followed Among the media representatives who attended the dialogue due to the pandemic. In addition, he indicated that to enter the meeting place it will be mandatory to wear personal protective equipment (face masks).
Representatives of the opposition and the Maduro regime who will sit at the table
The opposition will be:
– Stalin Gonzalez, of the formation of Un Nuevo Tiempo, former MP and spokesperson for the opposition in the dialogue processes between Oslo and Barbados.
– Thomas GuanibaPrimero Justicia, Secretary General. It will be the voice of the leader of that party, Henrique Capriles. He is also the ambassador of the so-called provisional government in Colombia.
– Gerardo BladeAnd a constitutional lawyer, a former mayor and a former deputy. It has a flexible dialogue with the Maduro government.
– Father Luis Emilio Rondon, from a new time.
– Mariela Magallanesby La Causa R.
Depending on the system:
– Jorge Rodriguez, President of the National Assembly elected in 2020, former Vice President of the Executive, former Mayor of Caracas and former President of the National Electoral Council, with studies in psychiatry.
– Hector Rodriguez, governor of central Miranda state, former minister of sports and youth under the Maduro administration, 39 years old.
– Nicolas Maduro GuerraVice (son of Nicolás Maduro Moros).
the Kingdom of Norway He played a key role in the dialogue process that began in Mexico. His delegates visited Venezuela for at least eight months to lead what he calledzoster stageMeetings with conflicting parties to approximate positions and, ultimately, determine potential agendas, deadlines and venues for conversations.
Russia and the European Union are also actively participating in the dialogue. This week, the Foreign Ministry of Vladimir Putin’s government pledged that the negotiations would include “Effective international assistance‘, although he claimed the Venezuelans themselves needed to resolve their issues.
Speakers from the United States reiterated that “Urgent needDialogue in Venezuela for at least two months, but it has not announced its active participation in the process, which begins in Mexico. your foreign minister, Anthony BlinkHe held high-level meetings at the Vatican last June, which included a 40-minute meeting with Pope Francis, where he renewed Washington’s support for Venezuela’s democratic return.
schedule of work
The Venezuelan opposition demands two main points. The first condition is the discussion about a Schedule of “free and fair” elections That includes presidential and national parliamentarians, according to Juan Guaido. The second is The massive and tireless influx of humanitarian aid and COVID-19 vaccines to Venezuela. There is a third, more universal point, which is considered the need for “Democratic guaranteesThis request includes The release of at least 268 political prisoners in the country’s prisons, The return of the exiles and create “fair translator“.
Maduro, for his part, is on Mexico’s agenda four points Initials. The first is Full lifting of economic sanctions It is imposed by states and blocs of countries, such as the United States, Canada, and the European Union, against their government institutions and officials.
then ask Recognition of all institutions in Venezuela, like his presidency, the National Assembly elected in 2020 and the Supreme Court of Justice, which are not considered legitimate by a large part of the international community, especially in America and Europe.
It also requiresreturn assetsVenezuela frozen by some overseas governments and global financial entities. Maduro often mentions the “confiscation” of tens of tons of gold from the country’s international reserves held in the Bank of England.
In recent weeks, Maduro has emphasized a fourth point that includes: that Participate in the dialogue “all opponents”.