World

O’Brien: The US is “considering other options” after the mass arrests in Hong Kong

O'Brien: The US is "considering other options" after the mass arrests in Hong Kong

National Security Adviser Robert O’Brien said on Sunday that the United States is “examining other options” after more than 50 activists were arrested in Hong Kong.

O’Brien described some 55 arrests last week, the largest mass arrests since China enacted a new national security law in Hong Kong, as “politicized” and “the latest in many successive bolts that Beijing has pushed into the coffin of Hong Kong’s democracy.”

“The United States was the first major country with the courage and conviction to openly acknowledge the true nature of the Chinese Communist Party regime,” O’Brien said in a statement. “It is very important that countries in the world demand accountability from Beijing.”

“The world cannot continue to pay exorbitant prices for its gullibility and complicity in Beijing’s irresponsible and harmful practices – whether it is ending the rule of law in Hong Kong or not cooperating with health officials on the epidemic,” he continued. “The United States is considering more options to respond.”

The National Security Adviser said President TrumpDonald Trump Kim said North Korea’s efforts will focus on getting the United States “to their knees” Pelosi urges Democrats to prepare to return to Washington this week amid the impeachment lawsuits of Ken Kleinstein: The “ideological” blind spot has prevented law enforcement from responding urgently to the Capitol riotsThe Hong Kong administration anticipated and declared the death of the Free and Open Society of Hong Kong last May.

US, Australian, Canadian and British officials Condemned the arrests at Joint statement Dated on Saturday.

The diplomats said, “It is clear that the National Security Law is used to eliminate opposition and opposition to political opinions.” “We call on the central authorities in Hong Kong and China to respect the rights and freedoms legally guaranteed to the people of Hong Kong without fear of arrest and detention.”

READ  President Trump will not be safe on Earth

The joint statement was signed by the foreign minister Mike PompeoMike Pompeo, Cruz and other Trump allies condemn the Twitter ban on President Sanders and defend the pressure to impeach Trump: The rebellion will not be tolerated Pompeo meets with Biden’s foreign candidate as part of the transition MoreAnd Australian Foreign Minister Maryse Payne, British Foreign Minister Dominic Raab and Canadian Foreign Minister Francois Philip Champaign.

Most of the detainees have been held for participating in unofficial primaries for the since-delayed legislative elections, which officials said violated the law. All but three were released on bail The Associated Press.

China supported the National Security Act last year, which was designed to criminalize foreign interference, sabotage, and secession. Western governments and Hong Kong activists have criticized the law, saying it threatens the “one country, two systems” rule that China agreed to upon taking control of Hong Kong in 1997.

Hong Kong officials criticized the joint message from foreign officials, saying, “I was horrified by the remarks made by some government officials abroad that seem to indicate that people with certain political beliefs should be immune to legal sanctions.”

The National Security Act was passed more than a year after Hong Kong’s pro-democracy protests rocked the city over a now-withdrawn bill that would have allowed the extradition of suspects to China.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *