After some time, it will reach Portugal and the flavor will be changed to what we know today as sweet.
In Europe, during the eighteenth century, the recipe reached Spain with some modifications such as sugar and its star shape. This is how it started to expand all over the world, it has already adopted different characteristics for each country.
Nowadays, houses of churrerías set trends and even add the most delicate ingredients. Some are filled with dulce de leche, Nutella, or white or dark chocolate. In a savory or sweet version with ice cream. With an elongated style like a sugarcane or intertwined like a coil, but it’s always a good choice for many families.
In terms of how it is made, churros is a dough made up of flour, water, and salt. In fact, it is very easy to prepare.
What is the recipe for churros?
- Put the flour in a large bowl. In a saucepan, heat the water with salt.
- When it begins to boil, we pour it directly and at once over the flour. With a wooden spoon, mix the flour with the water. It will be a very sticky and perfectly compact dough.
- Put this dough in a churra bag or pastry bag. This step is necessary in order for it to come out well and not have problems with it when frying. Corera compresses the dough and removes the air. This prevents the crossover from jumping into the oil afterward, which is why it’s a very important step.
- Prepare the churros with the raw dough on a kitchen towel on the counter. In such a way as to cool the dough and prevent it from opening or bursting during frying.
- Put a large saucepan on the stove, filled with olive or sunflower oil.
If you don’t have a churrera, another possibility to do so is thanks to a pastry bag with a star-shaped nozzle.
Piping bags can be made of disposable plastic and you can find them in bakeries.
Frying and serving
- When the oil is hot, the parts of the dough should be introduced for frying. (Before you have to measure the oil temperature. If possible, between 195 and 200°C).
- Cook over medium heat to avoid it getting raw inside.
- Once fried, remove from heat and place on a tray with kitchen paper to absorb excess oil.
- Serve with a sprinkle of white sugar or icing sugar.