If you want to learn and get to know Microsoft Power BI, in the following lines we will tell you everything you need to know.
Power BI has become one of the most important services for businesses, ever since Facilitates and improves the management, analysis and processing of large amounts of data. In addition, it allows access to said information from anywhere, not necessarily from the office. However, not everyone knows the benefits and how to effectively use this Microsoft tool.
Probably Learn about all the features and conveniences that Excel provides To deal with spreadsheets through their formulas and special functions that you must know. Power BI is a service that goes even further, since it’s also compatible with this file format, allowing you to display spreadsheets and even graph information in a more advanced way than you can do with a basic Excel manual.
We have prepared a kind of tutorial for beginners which we are going to tell you and explain How do you perform basic and essential tasks To the company with Power BI, starting with how to sign up for the service.
How to sign up for Power BI
In order to start and enjoy all The tools and capabilities offered by Power BI From Microsoft, it is necessary to first register on the platform with a user account.
It is important to note that the Power BI service is paid, as it integrates advanced functionality and You must subscribe to access it. However, there is also the possibility to sign up and get a 2-month (60-day) trial, which will allow you to see all that this platform has to offer so that you can select and contract the service.
If you click on this button, it will take you directly to the Microsoft Power BI interface where you will have to enter your educational or professional email. from here, The platform will check if an account with these credentials exists to grant you access. And if none are found, it will allow you to register as a new user.
By having your own Power BI account, it’s free, with many features cut out. to Unleash your full potentialThen, you have to access your profile on the platform and click on any of the options as well Buy a Pro version also Try the paid features for free.
How to bring data into Power BI to create a report
Now that you’ve signed up for the Power BI service, the next thing to do is get the data you’re using You can generate reports and convert them into graphs and much more.
Assuming the first thing you want to do in Power BI is create a report, you should know that How to collect that basic data to do the job. And we’ll explain it to you below, although you should know that the desktop version (Power BI Desktop) integrates many more features than the web version.
- From the Power BI dashboard interface, after entering your data, you should click on my work area.
- In this menu, you will have to click on the option new then in downloading a file.
- Now an interface will open Get the information.
- You should see the section Content Creation Then you press filesafter in local file.
- The next thing you should do is navigate through the directories on your computer until you find where the Excel document is.
- If you don’t have this spreadsheet tool, you can download it for free with Microsoft’s office suite.
- When you find an Excel document, it’s best to click on the option Themeas it will allow you to obtain data more comfortably.
- Now that you’ve imported the document, all you need to do is select it and click on the icon with three vertical dots to access more options.
- From this contextual menu, click Create a report.
- You must click on the option View reading It’s on the top bar of the interface to preview what your document will look like when you share it with your colleagues.
How to create charts in Power BI from a report
You already know how to get data into Power BI, and it’s pretty straightforward. However, with this information, You may want to convert the report data into charts To get a better view of the content and even make decisions.
Power BI makes it easy to create charts from a report, so all you have to do is Follow the steps we will list below. In addition, it is advisable to explore and look at all sections and menus of the Control Panel interface.
- The first thing you should do is position yourself in the report editor.
- Now in the dashboard fieldslocated on the right side, you must click on it.
- Then, click on the field Total sales and in date.
- After doing that, you should access the Control Panel perceptionswhich contains a line chart symbol.
- You can use any of the chart types provided in this section.
- In addition, you can pin any of these layouts to your dashboard for quick access whenever you want. You can do this by holding your cursor over the option and clicking where it appears anchor.
- Since you are creating a new graph report, the system may prompt you to save the changes made to the file and give it a name.
- Then, it will start analyzing and visualizing all the content of the report to display it in the graph format you selected.
- You can also name this report with option new board And save it as you like.
- From your main panel you will be able to access the graph report you created and if you open it you will be able to view the graph data.
- And if you make a mistake in any value, you can edit the document through additional options.
Quickly access specific data with the Power BI Q&A feature
One of the most interesting functions that you can find in Microsoft Power BI is this It allows you to ask questions to quickly explore data. Obviously, for this, you will need to design a question that is in natural language and linked to the data on the platform.
- To access this function, you must go back to my work area.
- Now, you can select the board you created with the data.
- Then click on the option Ask a question about your data.
- When you do this, you will notice that it gives you some suggestions that you can use.
- Depending on the question you ask, you will get a specific answer, because if you ask for average sales, a value is returned.
- You can pin responses to view them quickly.
How to modify the layout of dashboard icons in Power BI
If you feel that the visual distribution of Power BI content is not the most appropriate and you notice this Space is not used properly In the interface, you should know that you can modify the position of the icons.
- You should select and drag the symbol you like, such as a sales line chart, to another position that you feel works best for you.
- After that, you have to press the additional options of the said icon to access the contextual menu and Edit the details.
- Here you must give the icon a new name so that it will be saved correctly in the new position.