Tourism is widely recognized as an essential pillar of the country’s development and progress. Therefore, in order to celebrate its importance, every September 27th in World Tourism Day.
Spring holidays in Buenos Aires
This history originated in 1980, when the World Tourism Organization (UNWTO), one of the special agencies of the United Nations, decided to establish this holiday to highlight sustainable and globally responsible tourism.
It should be noted that the chosen day marks two important moments of the year: the end of the high tourist season for residents of the northern hemisphere, and the beginning of the season itself for those living in the southern hemisphere.
In addition, it was decided to celebrate the holiday on September 27 of each year to coincide with the date on which the statutes of the World Tourism Organization were approved, which was on the same day but in 1970.
World Tourism Day aims to raise awareness in the international community about the importance of tourism in social, cultural, political and economic aspects.
Every year, the United Nations comes up with a theme or slogan to celebrate World Tourism Day. In 2022, the campaign is called “Rethink Tourism”.
This topic seeks to spark debate about rethinking the sector and its contribution to development, including issues such as education and employment, as well as its impact on the planet and opportunities for growth in a more sustainable way.
What are the most visited countries in the world?
1- France (89 million visitors): France is the most visited country in the world. For more than a decade, it has been noted that there are many magnificent palaces, castles and cathedrals to be found. The climate is pleasant, the culture and exotic French dishes and wines. It made the country a very popular tourist destination. It has many attractions such as the world-famous Louvre, the Eiffel Tower, Versailles Palace, Mont Saint-Michel, Rocamadour and Alex villages, among many other charming villages.
2. Spain (83.5 million visitors): Spain stands out on this list thanks to the fact that they are taking a break from the stresses of life. Spain’s most popular tourist destinations include the Generalife and the Alhambra Gardens, the Great Mosque of Cordoba, also known as the Mezquita, the Paseo del Artes and the Prado Museums of Art. Places like Barcelona, Madrid, Ibiza or Seville are some of the most popular in the country. It has 47 UNESCO World Heritage sites, many Atlantic and Mediterranean beaches, and an array of festivals that bring people together from all over the world.
3 – United States (79.3 million visitors): The United States has always been a popular tourist destination. Travelers come to see natural wonders, cities, historical sites, and places of entertainment. Americans are looking for similar attractions, as well as recreation and vacation areas. Miami, New York or Los Angeles are the most visited places. In addition, it has ski resorts, sandy beaches, food belonging to most cultures in the world, and clothing design in cosmopolitan cities.
4. China (65.7 million visitors): Not only does China receive more visitors than most countries in the world, but its population accounts for 10% of all travelers around the world. Tourists from all over the world come here to experience its rich culture and heritage. The Great Wall of China alone attracts 10 million visitors to the site. Others are: the Forbidden City, the Great Wall of China, the French Concession in Shanghai, the Xi’an Terracotta Warriors, the Li River, and the Le Shan Great Buddha.
5. Italy (64.5 million visitors): Italy is a place full of history, culture and beauty. Tourism is so great in this country that long queues at places like St. Paul’s Cathedral and the Colosseum in Rome are almost guaranteed, with many even being booked in advance. At the same time, Italian cuisine made its way around the world.
6. Turkey (51.2 million visitors): Tourism in Turkey mainly focuses on the various historical sites and resorts along the Aegean and Mediterranean coasts. Turkish traditional and cultural heritage can be explored by visiting sites such as Hagia Sophia, also known as Hagia Sophia, Cappadocia, and the Blue Mosque. It also offers tourist activities such as hiking, mountain climbing, sailing and hot air ballooning.
7. Mexico (45.0 million visitors): Mexico has a large number of UNESCO World Heritage Sites. These include ancient monuments, colonial cities, and nature reserves, as well as many public and private works of modern architecture. In addition, it has the Mexican Caribbean, which is visited by tourists from all over the world. In addition, it is the second most visited country in America after the United States.
8. Thailand (39.8 million visitors): In recent years, the country has begun to receive a large number of tourists thanks to its beautiful beaches, stunning scenery, and many wonderful waterfalls. In addition to its natural beauty, archaeological sites that can be visited and important tourist places that represent the colorful history and culture of the country. Plus it has delicious dishes, friendly people, good weather and cheap prices.
9- Germany (39.6 million visitors): Germany has a stable economy and an adequate tourism infrastructure. Those who want to see or experience art should head to the country’s urban areas, such as Munich, Frankfurt or Hamburg. Beer, Black Forest and of course Oktoberfest. According to surveys, the three main reasons for tourists to visit this country are German culture, outdoor activities, countryside and German cities.
10. United Kingdom (39.4 million visitors): The tenth country on this list is the United Kingdom. From the lush green hills of Wales, the mountainous regions of Scotland and the famous Cliffs of Moher to the fast-paced city of London, these are some of the places this country can visit and offer to all kinds of tourists.