Data management is an unlimited source of business opportunities, data literacy will be the most in-demand skill by 2030 and only 11% of employees fully trust their level of literacy in this area of knowledge.
The UPAEP Competitiveness and New Business Forms Observatory and strategic and applied data management services firm SEGDA are conducting an investigation into the state of data management and its relevance to data strategy in Latin America.
Data management is one of the main axes in the future of companies and all those that have not yet run this data management and analysis tool will be out of what is the competitiveness of companies and from UPAEP we this topic is interesting because it allows us to learn about the skills, knowledge and capabilities that our students must have to join the Organizations are meeting these needs, emphasized Cynthia Maria Montodon-Thomas, director of the UPAEP Competitiveness and New Ways of Action Observatory.
“They have learned that data is an unlimited source of business opportunities, that data literacy will be the most in-demand skill by 2030, and that only 11% of employees fully trust their level of literacy,” Claudia Malcón Cervera emphasized. He is a researcher in the School of Management and Business Intelligence at UPAEP.
He pointed out that companies manage more data than ever before, and data is generated from different parties and companies are immersed in all this information, but the presence of a large amount of data does not mean that it automatically generates knowledge or that companies can make informed decisions, to achieve this, they need to be The data is of quality, to be analyzed and to go through a complete data management process that allows companies to discover all that knowledge, all of the capabilities that data has today to make them more competitive and make them better decisions.
The owners of Cervera stated that because of these concerns, the UPAEP and SEGDA consortium took on the task of investigating what is happening in the companies, how well they know and manage the data, “and we find that there is information at the North American level, ie the US and Canada, and at the European level, but at the Latin American level , it was found that there is an unexamined space which is why the Business Intelligence degree from UPAEP joined forces with SEGDA to carry out this research study and to be able to identify the state of data management and its relevance to data strategy in Latin American companies.”
He commented that in the study there is a whole methodology that indicates how companies operate in the field of data management in Latin America.
For his part, Christian Vásquez Sanchez, Consulting Partner of SEGDA Data Management, stated that striving to give the greatest scientific rigor to this study, the first thing that was proposed was the hypothesis, the tool was developed and rigorous work was carried out on its part. Search statistics.
While Ramon Hernandez Callejas, Consulting Partner of SEGDA Data Management, commented that the study included a total of 126 people who participated from 13 different countries in the Latin American region, the most participating countries were Mexico, Colombia, Argentina, Chile, Peru and Ecuador which exceeded 80% of the responses received , while the rest of the countries that represented 20% were Uruguay, Bolivia, Guatemala, Costa Rica, Panama, El Salvador and Honduras, which gave a great diversity of research.
He said that the participants came from the following sectors, financial, government and information technology, and these three sectors covered more than 50% of the responses; Other sectors such as education, consulting, insurance, telecommunications, energy and agro-industries were also represented.
He added that with regard to the participants’ profiles, there were data-related area managers; Business area managers, data governance personnel, data analysts, data engineers, and many additional profiles that contain the data component in the profile name provided by respondents.
Marily Lopez Flores, data management consulting partner at SEGDA, explained that there is good penetration at the time of the investigation, and representative responses calling year after year for improved numbers and results in data management.
He emphasized that they were asked about six important areas related to data strategy, data management frames of reference, the maturity of the different disciplines of data management, the subject of data culture and analytics and their relationship to data management. to start the discovery.
Finally, Lopez Flores stated that all those interested in this study can refer to it at the following website www.segda.com.mx; In addition to their call to continue investing in data management education to bridge the gaps in this discipline and to strengthen the link between data management and analytics.