LONDON – The British Attorney General’s office charged US actor Kevin Spacey, 62, this Thursday with four counts of sexual assault against three men over events that would have occurred between 2005 and 2013 in the United Kingdom.
The prosecution’s director of special crimes, Rosemary Ainsley, said in a statement that he is “also accused of having a person engage in penetrative sexual activity without their consent.”
The two counts include two alleged sexual assaults in March 2005 in London against a man (referred to as Prosecutor No. 1) and a third in August 2008 against “Prosecutor No. 2”, who also accuses him of making him engage in hacking activity without his consent.
The fourth sexual assault, against applicant No. 3, allegedly occurred in April 2013 in the county of Gloucestershire.
Ainsley specifies in the memo that charges are brought against him after reviewing data collected in an investigation by the Greater London Police, also known as Scotland Yard.
“The Crown Prosecution Service reminds everyone involved that criminal proceedings against Spacey are active and that he is entitled to a fair trial,” the attorney general says, stressing that only a court can ultimately determine his innocence or conviction.
Ainslie warns that it is “very important” not to publish information in the press or the Internet that could raise prejudices on the issue.
The American actor lived for several years in London, serving as artistic director of The Old Vic Theater between 2004 and 2015.
Those responsible for that symbolic room in London indicated in 2017 that they had received complaints from 20 people who claimed they had been sexually harassed by Spacey, who also faced charges of this type of crime in the United States but those charges were dismissed.