In Señal Colombia Deportes we tell you what the next stage will be like world Cup.
XXIII FIFA World Cup (FIFA and its affiliates) It will take place between June 11 and July 19, 2026 in Canada, Mexico and the United StatesTri-camps selected in 2018.
How many matches will be held?, How many teams will participate?, What are their venues?, Why the change in format?, How many teams will qualify by the Confederation?, In Señal Colombia Deportes we will tell you all the details.
The new format of the FIFA World Cup
A fairly noticeable organizational change will take place for the 2026 World Cup. the FIFA, Chaired by its president Gianni Infantino, the organization of said competition is limited to 48 teams and 16 others, with reference to the 32 teams that have regularly participated in this orbital event since World Cup in France 98 Even the World Cup finals that were held in the past Qatar 2022.
The FIFA Executive Council determined the final format of the World Cup which will consist of Form 12 groups of 4 teams to play the first stage. After that, the second round will be played with the first and second teams from each group, added to the eight best third teams, which will finish The group of 32 teams that will play the round of 16. Immediately after this, the Round of 16 Finals (16 choices), Quarter-finals (8 choices), Semi-finals (4 choices) and Grand Final will take place as it was at the end.
The 48 teams in each confederation will qualify as follows:
- Asian Football Confederation: 8 slots
- Confederation of African Football: 9 places
- CONCACAF North, Central American and Caribbean Football Confederation: 6 slots
- CONMEBOL, the South American Football Confederation: 6 slots
- Oceania Football Confederation: 1 share
- UEFA The Union of European Football Associations: 16 Quotas
Direct qualification for the World Cup A total of 46 places will be awarded, while two will be contested via buy-back as follows:
Five teams will be selected from all confederations except UEFAplus one from the host country’s federation. The four worst placed teams in the FIFA Ranking They will play in brackets and the two winners will play against the two remaining teams, who will be the best placed in the FIFA Ranking, the winners of these brackets. They will occupy the two remaining places in the 2026 World Cup, which will be held in Canada, the United States and Mexico.
The United States will be the country where the largest number of matches in the World Cup will be concentrated Which has the following offices:
- New York: MetLife Stadium has a capacity of 82,500 spectators.
- Angels: Sophie stadium with a capacity of 70 thousand spectators.
- Dallas: AT&T Stadium has a capacity of 80,000 spectators.
- Kansas City: Arrowhead Stadium has a capacity of 76,416 spectators.
- Houston: NRG Stadium has a capacity of 71,795 spectators.
- Atlanta: Mercedes-Benz Stadium, with a capacity of 71,000 spectators.
- Boston: Gillette Stadium has a capacity of 65,878 spectators.
- Philadelphia: Lincoln Financial Field has a capacity of 69,596 spectators.
- Miami: Hard Rock Stadium has a capacity of 75,540 spectators.
- Seattle: Lumens Field has a capacity of 68,740 spectators.
- San Francisco: Levi’s Stadium has a capacity of 68,500 spectators.
Mexico will be the second largest participating country in the 2026 World Cup, with three stadiums:
- Mexico City: Azteca Stadium With a capacity of 87,523 spectators
- Guadalajara: Akron Stadium has a capacity of 46,232 spectators
- Monterey: BBVA Stadium has a capacity of 51,348 spectators
Canada will be the host country with the fewest available stadiums for the 2026 World Cup:
- Vancouver: BC Place has a capacity of 54,500 spectators
- Toronto: BMO Stadium has a capacity of 30,000 spectators.
The numbers are impressive, as is the number of participating teams. Will the excitement around the world change for the World Cup? Remember to comment on our social networks.
Remember that The best of world football at Señal Colombia Deportes