Barack Obama’s scandal-plagued former Attorney General Eric Holder is considering entering the Democrat presidential primaries.
Eugene Robinson, an MSNBC analyst, tweeted late Thursday:
“It gets even more interesting. I hear from a good source that Eric Holder has been consulting strategists about possibly jumping into the Dem presidential race.”
The news comes despite an op-ed in the Washington Post earlier this year where the former AG, who served between 2009 and 2015, declared he would “not run for president in 2020”.
However, any run by Holder would certainly be scrutinized for a plethora of serious scandals that took place under his watch.
A list of Eric Holder’s scandals while serving as Attorney General include:
- Gunrunning roughly 2000 U.S. military weapons to Mexican drug cartels as part of Operation Fast and Furious
- Defending voter intimidation by the New Black Panther Party and their chairman, who stood outside of polling locations in paramilitary uniforms and nightsticks.
- Christopher Coates of the Justice’s Civil Rights Division admitted the Obama Administration’s policy was only to file voting rights cases on behalf of minorities
- Contempt of Congress after Eric Holder refused to hand over documents to the House Judiciary Committee concerning Operation Fast and Furious.
- Targeting U.S. businesses using banks in Operation Choke Point. The government was extra-judicially pressuring banks to cut off functions for companies they determined to be higher risks for fraud, money laundering, and terrorist financing.
- Refusal to prosecute financial institutions suspected of crimes because they were “too big to fail”. Prosecutions against these organizations hit a 20-year low under Eric Holder.
- Holder had worked for Swiss bank UBS AG before taking his position in Obama’s cabinet. UBS AG was under investigation by the U.S. government for conspiracy in U.S. tax fraud.
- Refusal to Prosecute IRS employees for targeting conservatives after they were caught cherry-picking organizations for increased scrutiny based on their names and political themes.
Eric Holder would be entering a crowded Democrat primary field including other Obama administration members like Joe Biden and Julian Castro. Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has also teased a potential late-entry run as well.
Former New York mayor Michael Bloomberg also announced his candidacy as a Democrat on Friday.