Turkey’s military launched an attack on American special forces in Kobane, Syria on Friday afternoon.
Turkey claims the attack was a mistake, however coalition leaders in the area suggested it was an attempt to force the United States out of the region.
One Coalition officer told Telegraph,
“They know we are there, we told them our position. There’s no other target in the area. They’re trying to drive us out. If Turkey can get us to leave so they can siege Kobane, it’s all over.”
President Trump took a very light stance on the attack when speaking to reporters on the White House lawn. When asked about it, the President said, “We’ll take a look at it.“
Trump did reiterate his threat from earlier this week, stating that
“If Turkey does something they shouldnt be doing, we will put on sanctions the likes of which very few countries have ever seen before.
Regardless of the President’s stance, it is unthinkable that a NATO ally would launch bombs at U.S. troops, especially after promising to avoid such attacks.
On Monday, following a late-night call with Turkish President Erdogan, Trump announced he would immediately withdraw U.S. troops from Northern Syria. Within 24 hours, Turkey invaded the region.
Turkey has been at war with the Kurds in the region for hundreds of years, and has designated the YPG Kurdish group a terrorist organization.
The YPG is considered to be a militant arm of the Kurdish organization the PKK, which is a designated terrorist organization by the United States. The U.S. allied with the YPG to drive ISIS out of northern Syria.
A projected 10,000 ISIS fighters are still being held as prisoners by the Kurds in the area. There are fears that they may be released while Turkey and the YPG are fighting.